[Harp-L] Re: Trills on Harp

Winslow said:

" "Trill" refers exclusively to the alternation of two neighboring
notes in the scale, never to notes any farther apart than that.

"The only actual trill on the diatonic harmonica is between Draw 6 and
Draw 7 (A and B on a C-harp). Interesting that harmonica players
verrrry rarely use this - probably because, as a true trill, it is
more dissonant than they want."

Winslow definitely knows more about theory than I do, but something about
this statement bugs me.  If a trill is alternating between two adjacent
scale notes, there should be tons of trills available on the diatonic, not
just the one he mentions.  What about Bend 4 - Draw 4, or Blow 5 - Draw 5?
Depends on what scale you're using, but my point is that you could alternate
between many sets of notes very quickly, if your technique is well honed.  I
use very quick, repetitive bends sometimes in my playing, and it can sound
very cool if I practice my intonation.  As for fast blow/draw patterns, even
Dylan uses those.  Of course, bending/unbending or blowing/drawing is not a
headshake at all, but couldn't it still be a trill, according to the
historical definition Winslow has given?

Jonathan Metts