Fwd: [Harp-L] headshake - NOT a trill

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, chris smith
<harpshredder@...> wrote:

> The correct term is trill for the smooth
> vacillation between two pitchs.

Sorry, Chris, this is incorrect.

"Trill" refers exclusively to the alternation of two neighboring
notes in the scale, never to notes any farther apart than that.

This creates a dissonant interval, hence tension that requires
resolution. Wider intervals do not create that tension. They create
texture without the tension. They are called names like tremulando
and tremolo.

The only actual trill on the diatonic harmonica is between Draw 6 and
Draw 7 (A and B on a C-harp). Interesting that harmonica players
verrrry rarely use this - probably because, as a true trill, it is
more dissonant than they want.

I'm sorry to sound disrepectful, Chris, but I'm going to stand on a
soapbox for a minute and say that harmonica players, if they really
want the respect of the larger musical community, should use musical
terms correctly. "Trill" has had a very specific meaning regarding
the intervals used for something like 400 years.

"Shake" is in fact an accepted term for the rapid alternation of two
notes, whether dissonant or not.

Therefore, head shake is a perfectly acceptable term. I might quibble
that the head is not always used - I prefer to move the harp or my
tongue.