Fwd: [Harp-L] Practice amp and mike question

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Rob <out2catch1@...> wrote:

Hi,,I need a portable  practice amp and mike.....I am looking for
something versatile since my style ranges from irish to chicago.  I
have been a closet player and will soon be performing at small
venues.  I wonder if i should get 2 mikes anyway....a vocal and a
bullet type...any suggestions?..Thx

Rob, Do you play all this while holding a mike in your hand or are
you thinking of a mike on a stand?  If you play it all handheld, I
think you can play pretty clean with a bullet if you don't cup it
tight and overdrive it.  I usually play through a vocal on a stand
and have a bullet (or a 545) through an amp standing by.  I am
finding that some songs that I would play more cleanly through the
vocal mike actually also work fine through the amp (not overdriven).
Sometimes this happens when the band volume comes up and I can't hear
my vocal mike playing in the monitors anymore! -- so I play through
the amp.  Of course, you can also use a vocal mike (with an impedance
transformer) through an amp.  I think you need to think through how
you will be performing -- will you need a vocal on a stand and an
amped mike at the same time?  --jk