From: "tomsmics" <tomsmics@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 12:18 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Al Wilson.....

I'd like to second Richard Hunter's very adriot comments on the harp solo on
the YouTube clip of Canned Heat playing "On The Road Again."  Especially the
note about the solo being "emotionally potent".  Wilson was all about the
"vocal" charactreristics of soloing, and commented frequently on how much
blues music was becoming nothing more than a blur of fast runs and
notes--from harp player and especially guitarists in the late 1960s/early
1970s.  He was especially appreciative of soloists who could solo in a
"vocal" way, that would add to the music.

Not surprisingly, the only harp player he ever commented on as an example of
"playing vocally" was Butter......this was another especially adriot
comment, like Richard's.  No one's come along since who can play with this
level of "vocalism" or emotion.

TOM ELLIS/Tom's Mics