Fwd: Re: [Harp-L] vocalism

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Splash" <celtiac@...> wrote:

I sometimes rather liken it to being the horn section. Or when there's a
saxophone in the band, becoming another horn in the horn section.

And one thing that I learned from a great horn player in the '70's when
was learning the Sax was, as he put it, "Syllablize it."  And when he
played
you could hear the phrases, and syllables.

BaDooBah Boop BeDeebah Bop

PEACE
Scott
Believe in Magic!

Scott:  It makes sense to me that either of these images (background
vocals, a horn, and more, I'm sure) can work to help create a
particular style -- and that style could shift within a song or between
songs, or contribute to an indivudual player's overall style (such as,
so-and-so is 3/4 horn and 1/4 backing vocalist).  And I suspect these
can be operating at different levels of consciousness over time -- so
one might consciously emulate horn lines, and later it just becomes an
unconscious element of a person's overall style -- so they're just
playing harp (their way).
--jk