Subject: [Harp-L] Holiday Harp (SPAH article and J. Ricci's 12/14 download)

Bobbie (one o) writes:

"Greetings, friends...

I've been too busy to even read harp  lists lately, but decided I needed a
break yesterday to pen a few  lines.  Well, hey... it was my birthday!  :)"

So it was!   ...well....OUR birthday...as well as Paul  Butterfield's!  I
think of it now as:  Paul Butterfield's, me  and Bobbie (Mc) Gee's birthday
<VBG>  Very Happy birthday  to you/ us  ;)    Saw Jason Ricci on the  14th at
Terra Blues and he dedicated that night's version of Sonja to me  for my birthday.
 Cheered me up immensely.   :)

It can be downloaded here:
_Click  here: Internet Archive: Details: Jason Ricci and New Blood Live at
Terra  Blues on 2006-12-14_
(http://www.archive.org/details/jrnb2006-12-14.flac16)

[....for those looking for "funky"...it's also worthy to note that NO  ONE
gets funkier than Jason on his version of Cissy Strut....the longest  number he
does...each band member getting a solo...each outrageously  good in their own
right. Todd Edmunds (Buckweed) on bass  guitar and then Steve Johnson on the
most tasteful drum solo shows  why this band works so well to back up Jason and
why people love  attending his shows....half way through the number he gets
into  his:  "everything I play will be Funky, from now on"...taking  the
audience right along with him :)  Trust me, THAT's  funky.

Then on Blue & Lonesome (my favourite vocal of Jason's)...Shawn  Starsky with
a blistering guitar solo shows how he improves each time I  hear
him....something I didn't think could be possible.  Even if  you don't want to listen to
ALL of the songs in the download  (for whom we have Garry Hodgson to
thank)....but those few songs  ...as well as Jason doing Lou Reed's "Take a Walk on the
Wild Side" better  than the original (IMO)(there's that pesky guy again, lol)
....would  be worth the price of admission.

.... But I digress.....it was the BEST present I could  have....and hugs and
kisses from Jason Ricci to boot, ....quite made  MY special day...  :)   ]

"Recently, I received perhaps the most amazing new harmonica  recording
designed to encompass this time of year's holiday spirit  that I have
experienced in, well... I've never experienced anything  like it!"

But, I feel a bit sad and ashamed.  You see, I have  taken on the scary
job of editor for the SPAH magazine, Harmonica  Happenings, and I was
asked to promote this CD with an ad in this  ~season's~ issue of the
magazine.  I am so behind the learning  curve for editing a whole magazine
at this point that I will sadly not  get this issue out to SPAH members in
a timely way to best help this  harmonicist promote his seasonal work as
planned.  And, that  really be a shame, too, but perhaps this writing will
make up for it a  little bit."

Wow...no wonder you've been so busy.....

.....Bobbie...Wally Peterman had talked to me about coordinating some  folks'
impressions of SPAH 2006 for submission to the SPAH  newsletter.  I assumed
I'd use my previously written synopsis printed  here....and incorporate his and
Val's ideas, with perhaps a Blues player's  input....but hadn't yet found one
to contribute, nor gotten back to   Wally.  Is it too late?  I'll rush it
through if you're still  looking for that...

"Funny the way it happened... this guy called  me to say he had 2 CDs he
wanted to promote in the magazine, having  heard I would be the new
editor.  One of them is called "Holidays  in Harmonicaland", and I am
listening to it 'again' as I write  this.  I was sure to listen to this
more than once, I guarantee  you.

He claimed we had met before at a SPAH or other harmonica  convention, but
I couldn't place the name.  When the CDs arrived,  I suddenly recalled
meeting him, and more importantly, 'hearing' this  fellow play.  I am sure
many shared my same awe.  We all  know the routine... you go, you hear,
you watch... and then you and  others are all glancing left and right to
each other with the same  query in your eyes.  Umm... WHO is that
guy???  Holy  Cow!!!  Instant groupies.

For me, for most of us, it was  someone we all came to know then only as
"Creeper".  Any of you  out there remember who I'm talking about?  Well,
here's his real  name -- Bruce Kurnow.  And, let me say, he put together
one  amazing solo project for a holiday album!  There are 15 tracks of
self-produced music for a diverse variety of holiday pieces.   Consider...

It opens with Carol of the Bells, then Silent Night,  goes on to Alvinu
Malchenu, Dreydl Blues, Amazing Grace, The First  Noel, and ending with
the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, but lots of  other gems in between;
after all, there are 15 cuts on the CD!   Among them are equally amazing
renditions of Away in a Manger, O Come  O Come, Immanuel, and yes, believe
it or not, a scaled down,  multi-harp version of the Hallelujah
Chorus!!  I haven't heard it  enough times yet to settle on my favorites,
but I'm sure I will, and  they may not even be one of those listed here
because there are so  many beautiful pieces.

Other instrumental sounds involved, but  basically, Kurnow has performed
most all of the parts on several  different harmonica instruments...
Diatonic, Chromatic, Echo, Bass,  and Harmonetta, as well as accompaniment
by carefully selected,  wide-ranging effects and tones of electronic
keyboards.  What  stands out in my mind most, however, is the fresh,
original and very  skillful arrangements of the songs, also all done by
Kurnow.   Truly, an astonishing accomplishment!

Honestly... this is my pick  for your best choice of Holiday Harmonica
this season; perhaps even  holiday music in general!  Bruce is truly an
outstanding,  expressive musician.  Lucky us, he chose the harmonica as
his  favorite tool to convey his musical talent.  Delinquent me, I would
truly have hoped to get this news out to our SPAH membership before  now,
but admittedly, it has been a pinch.  Forgive me.  But,  go ahead and buy
"Creeper's" CD, because I guarantee you, there will  be much you can enjoy
now, glean from hearing it, and then save to  feel an inner thrill when
you bring it out again next winter to marvel  anew at how Bruce Kurnow has
captured the beauty, joy and peace of the  holiday season in "Holidays in
Harmonicaland"."

..You know...I think some people on the chromatic list need to be  made aware
of this CD...since there is a dearth of good Holiday  harmonica CD's.  Would
you mind if I post the link over  there?

"Now I can't wait to dive into his OTHER CD!  Oh,  my!!!  It's similarly
titled just "Harmonicaland".  Do check  out Kurnow's website for more
information, sound clips and ordering  instructions.  You will be stunned
at this harmonica player's  talent and prolific musical career!  Here's
the URL:   http://www.brucekurnow.com  And, to Bruce... Good luck with
these  CDs, and please get yourself back to a SPAH convention, or any
harmonica fest, real soon!  We miss you!!"

....you've certainly piqued MY interest.  I'll be sure to check  out his
website.  Thanks a heap, fellow Sag.   :)

Holiday Cheers, all you free-reeders!

Bobbie"

You too....(I'll write you offlist with the latest  news.....   :)

Elizabeth