To: <Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 3:32 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Holiday Harp

Greetings, friends...

I've been too busy to even read harp lists lately, but decided I needed a break yesterday to pen a few lines. Well, hey... it was my birthday! :)

Recently, I received perhaps the most amazing new harmonica recording designed to encompass this time of year's holiday spirit that I have experienced in, well... I've never experienced anything like it!

But, I feel a bit sad and ashamed. You see, I have taken on the scary job of editor for the SPAH magazine, Harmonica Happenings, and I was asked to promote this CD with an ad in this ~season's~ issue of the magazine. I am so behind the learning curve for editing a whole magazine at this point that I will sadly not get this issue out to SPAH members in a timely way to best help this harmonicist promote his seasonal work as planned. And, that really be a shame, too, but perhaps this writing will make up for it a little bit.

Funny the way it happened... this guy called me to say he had 2 CDs he wanted to promote in the magazine, having heard I would be the new editor. One of them is called "Holidays in Harmonicaland", and I am listening to it 'again' as I write this. I was sure to listen to this more than once, I guarantee you.

He claimed we had met before at a SPAH or other harmonica convention, but I couldn't place the name. When the CDs arrived, I suddenly recalled meeting him, and more importantly, 'hearing' this fellow play. I am sure many shared my same awe. We all know the routine... you go, you hear, you watch... and then you and others are all glancing left and right to each other with the same query in your eyes. Umm... WHO is that guy??? Holy Cow!!! Instant groupies.

For me, for most of us, it was someone we all came to know then only as "Creeper". Any of you out there remember who I'm talking about? Well, here's his real name -- Bruce Kurnow. And, let me say, he put together one amazing solo project for a holiday album! There are 15 tracks of self-produced music for a diverse variety of holiday pieces. Consider...

It opens with Carol of the Bells, then Silent Night, goes on to Alvinu Malchenu, Dreydl Blues, Amazing Grace, The First Noel, and ending with the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, but lots of other gems in between; after all, there are 15 cuts on the CD! Among them are equally amazing renditions of Away in a Manger, O Come O Come, Immanuel, and yes, believe it or not, a scaled down, multi-harp version of the Hallelujah Chorus!! I haven't heard it enough times yet to settle on my favorites, but I'm sure I will, and they may not even be one of those listed here because there are so many beautiful pieces.

Other instrumental sounds involved, but basically, Kurnow has performed most all of the parts on several different harmonica instruments... Diatonic, Chromatic, Echo, Bass, and Harmonetta, as well as accompaniment by carefully selected, wide-ranging effects and tones of electronic keyboards. What stands out in my mind most, however, is the fresh, original and very skillful arrangements of the songs, also all done by Kurnow. Truly, an astonishing accomplishment!

Honestly... this is my pick for your best choice of Holiday Harmonica this season; perhaps even holiday music in general! Bruce is truly an outstanding, expressive musician. Lucky us, he chose the harmonica as his favorite tool to convey his musical talent. Delinquent me, I would truly have hoped to get this news out to our SPAH membership before now, but admittedly, it has been a pinch. Forgive me. But, go ahead and buy "Creeper's" CD, because I guarantee you, there will be much you can enjoy now, glean from hearing it, and then save to feel an inner thrill when you bring it out again next winter to marvel anew at how Bruce Kurnow has captured the beauty, joy and peace of the holiday season in "Holidays in Harmonicaland".

Now I can't wait to dive into his OTHER CD! Oh, my!!! It's similarly titled just "Harmonicaland". Do check out Kurnow's website for more information, sound clips and ordering instructions. You will be stunned at this harmonica player's talent and prolific musical career! Here's the URL: http://www.brucekurnow.com And, to Bruce... Good luck with these CDs, and please get yourself back to a SPAH convention, or any harmonica fest, real soon! We miss you!!

Holiday Cheers, all you free-reeders!

Bobbie