[Harp-L] Re: was Danny Boy now Paddy

On 12/10/2006 8:08:17 PM, Steve Shaw (moorcot@xxxxxxx) wrote:

> Paddy Richter is a whole tone up on 3-blow, not a
> semitone. I'm  a voice in the wilderness here, but I tune
> up 2-draw instead of  3-blow. You end up with the same
> notes as the "usual" Paddy  Richter. Don't ask me why
> I've stuck with it all these years  but I have. Tuning
> up 2- draw means you don't even have to take  the
> reedplate off.  I'm not claiming that as a good reason
> for doing it my way, but it helps... ;-)

Actually, it makes good sense to me. For one, you have 3 octaves in which there is an easy draw breath pattern between D and A [on a C harp] that fits your favored Trad or Celtic music nicely, yes? Also, you don't lose the first C-E-G chord either, right? I'm sure there are other reasons, but these stuck out to me.

Of course, Tim had even more intriguing counterpoints! :-)
Interesting...
Bobbie

P.S. I too like Mox's "Rice Paddy"! OTOH, if you suddenly switched to using more tongue-block and became a nudist, we may all start calling you "Paddy-Tongue Bare"!! Ay, wot? Now, wouldn't that take the biscuit!
The "Paddy-Cake", of course!! ;-)