Re: [Harp-L] Re: Mustang Sally -- Melancholy Baby

Mustang Sally is the modern version of the oft requested "Melancholy Baby"
that musicians used to cringe over back in the day.

While the customer is not always right, the customer if paying the bill.

PBS ran the Ricky Nelson musical interlude collection from the Ozzie &
Harriet Show the other night, which features his kids and others talking about Rick.
  In the course of events, the background of "Garden Party" song came up,
based on Rick getting booed at an oldies concert when he refused to play his old
hits.   I can understand Rick getting sick and tired of playing those tunes.

But what was he thinking?

That he could present his new material and skip the old stuff?

If I'm going to an Everly Brothers concert I want to hear the old tune, not
whatever New Age stuff they're into.

If you want to play just what you like to hear, you better stay in your room
-- or the woodshed.
Otherwise, you need to take requests.

By the way, there is an endless list of smash hits that put entertainers'
names on the map with songs they hated and never would have recorded, given their
own choices.

Lighten up. You could have played the song you can't stand 10 times and earn
yourself a return gig in the time you spend arguing about what a piece of junk
it is.

keep on harpin