RE: [Harp-L] Mustang Sally

Harri writes:
If I could play as good as Shakey Horton I would still probably do Sally
when
the audience wants it.

There's no harm in that. I think that bands get sick of Sally as it is one of the most requested songs (the most requested song?) of the formula "can you play X", where X is not equal to what you're currently playing. And often the requested song is not in the style that you're playing on the night. I had a request for Led Zeppelin recently. The line up was harp, trumpet, piano, bass and drums... The problem is that if you were to do *only* what the audience think they want, then you would play only covers. They may well enjoy the new music you've carefully arranged - but how will they know that unless you've tried it on them? I think that's another thing that annoys musicians: they put a lot of effort in rehearsing their material, with good arrangements - and to be asked for something completely different or out of context seems to dismiss that effort. It's kind of "the band = my personal jukebox" phenomenon.

I quite like Cissy Strut, by the way.  I'd rather see Cissy Strut
than Sally Mustang - is mustang a verb? :-)

"All you got to do is ride around Sally.."
1 2 3 4... yahoo... we're off
Eugene