[Harp-L] Mustang Sally

Having started this thread I'm glad so many listers have responded. Typically, Sally has been classified as "worn out" or "overplayed" and almost all posts have agreed that audiences love this song.

Now here again is my point which I also made on a post under another subject: Are we there to play for ourselves and the band OR for the audience? If you feel better doing sophisticated stuff with your fellow musicians you should do it among yourselves or, even better, find an audience that digs your thing. But don't try to convert a crowd that applauds politely at what you're doing and just waits and craves for Mustang Sally or Sweet Home Chicago.

Mustang Sally is not my favorite song. But out of anything I've ever performed live it's the one that drives the audience wild and after the song people coming up to shake my hand, thanking  for doing it and that's what makes me do it over and over again. For me, it never wears out. A pleased audience is a lot more important than considering which songs are hip, cool, in, credible or whatever. If I could play as good as Shakey Horton I would still probably do Sally when the audience wants it.

Harri
Finland