Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] alcohol swabs (was Sharing Harps)

On Dec 17, 2006, at 12:58 AM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

On 12/13/06, Gary Lehmann <hqr@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I have taken to carrying alcohol swabs available at drugstores that they
sell to use for injection preparation (thanks Scotty!), and these are
probably adequate for sterilization if anyone asks to play my harps but
that
hasn't happened in years--'course, I'm not playing bars much--
Gary"

....as far as "other" folks playing my harmonicas. Well...it's all in your
perspective, and you have to know just who you would allow.....or
not....

I smoke, so NO ONE plays my harps. I'm only looking out for the other guy. I also DON't play other peoples harps. I don't want to contaminate them. People who don't smoke shouldn't have to put up with that noise.
If I fix a harp for someone else, it has to be at MY house where I have a fish filter pump and a valve block to allow air to flow in both directions. I have round and square rubber inserts and plastic tubing to fit the holes. Don't do much as my hands are now almost useless and shake too badly.
Spent 2 hrs trying to replace a reed tonight. 2 tries, both failures. Maybe tomorrow. :(

pretty much how you'd think of just who you'd kiss or not. :) Very few would
make it onto THAT list, let me tell you.

Very few would make it onto my list too. I am very shy. (NO, quit laughing, you guys)

There are probably l/2 dozen people I'd let play my harps for a particular
reason, at a particular moment, all told. While at my first Buckeye and
trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with my brand-new Super 64, the
brilliant Joe Filisko was asked to help me....HE asked politely if he could try
the instrument. Didn't hesitate for a second. "I' only wanted him to know
that I'd just wiped it down with one of those alcohol swabs so it was clean
enough for HIM, and I'd just done a major cleaning before I arrived and am a
bit of a fanatic... so was more concerned for him, since he didn't know ME.

That's why at Denver, I took your chromatic to Sissy Jones. I know she is hyper hygenic. :)

(oh boy, now what've I done, lol!)

You done good girl....... smo-joe

Elizabeth