Re: [Harp-L] Re: waves of shit spewing from an instrument, real players

Since I sing, I don't get to play a lot of fills or
even comp most of a song.  I think it is easier to
play too many nots when sitting in or only doing a
couple of  songs.

I too have felt like I've played too many notes/solos
at times.  I find switching positions slows me down.
I don't write our setlists, but I try to plan ahead
and think about the whole set.  For example, I usually
"warm up" through the set.  I try to build towards a
climax.

The best part about my band is we can solo as much or
little as we like.  I feel I have room to not play
too.  I also like knowing I can take a few
progressions to work up to something.

A good rule of thumb is to never play a whole song at
one level.  Don't play the whole thing slow or fast,
quiet or loud, etc.  Always be aware of rhythm and
dynamics!

Mike in MN

> --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "M. N."
> <mnessmith@...> wrote:
>
> I own and listen to all kinds of harp CDs from
> traditional acoustic and
> Chicago-style blues, to country, to jazzy stuff, to
> mellow harp (Lee
> Oskar
> solo stuff), to modern beasts like Carlos Del Junco,
> Jason Ricci,
> Sugar Blue
> and Blues Traveler. I just point that out to give
> you an idea where I'm
> coming from as a player and listener.
> Anyway, over my years of playing, whenever I have
> heard a recording of a
> live gig I did, 99.999% of the time, I wish I'd
> played FEWER notes.
> Listening critically, I can always hear nice musical
> ideas that I came up
> with but them marred by just throwing out too many
> notes. Anyone else
> have
> that same experience?
> MN

> --- End forwarded message ---

Mike Fugazzi
vocals/harmonica

http://www.myspace.com/mikefugazzi
http://www.niterail.com

"Capitalize on your own strengths; develop your own style.
The world needs another harp player doing Little Walter licks
as much as it needs another Elvis impersonator."
-Paul deLay