[Harp-L] custom harps ( was re:Rare/custom/old harmonicas on ebay)

Hey list,

James L. Gordon writes:
"There are some great things still out there, but it would be rare to find  a
Filisko, Sleigh, or one of my Gordon Harmonicas for resale....but nothing  is
impossible.
I sure do appreciate my valued clients who understand that  doing this work
fulltime necessitates a wait, due to actual production time  and the "queue"
being the only way to be fair. Fortunately due to a lot of  concetrated work
I am closing the gap somewhat and not exceeding my  estimates, and starting
to complete things closer to the middle of my  estimated completion rather
than the end here.
I would like to thank all  the folks who have ordered Filisko Method
instruments from me. I know that it  is not easy to part with the bread and
wait, but it may be better than to  risk buying from a stranger on the net,
although there are some very tempting  vintage things out there. Buyer be
wise is my recommendation...
I hope to  participate here more often but I've got to hit the bench now.
All the Best  and Happy Holidays!
James Gordon
Gordon Harmonicas"

Rosco chimes in:
  There seem to be a lot of customisers coming & going in the harp  world. I
think it's great to have a variety of products at different price  points. I
am an enthusiastic endorser of Filisko method harps ( & believe  me, I ain't
gettin' 'em  free!! ) Here's the deal: they are worth  the expense  & the wait.
If you play them gently, like you are  supposed to, they will last a long
time-  AND, you can get them repaired  & tweaked for very reasonable prices &
always have an up to date  version. One thing you know for sure is that you WILL
get your harps. I  know some of the other customisers & they seem honorable,
but one customiser  recently back on the scene & mentioned on this list (he
doesn't post to  harp-l himself) has owed me a harp for 6 years & I guess never
expect  to see it. Other players I know have had the same experience. Lesson
learned. Check references.

  Filisko, Gordon, or Sleigh  harps are  not for everyone,  but here's what
they do for me:
>They are VERY responsive - for instance, they makes half-step bends  much
easier to hit & control.
>They are more even in their response from reed to reed.
>You can get them tuned any way you like (I think I'm right about  this!)
>They will be set-up to match your playing style - trad blues to jazzy  with
overbends.
>They can be repaired & used indefinitely - I have some double reed  plate
wood combed harps Joe made me in 1993 or so that I keep at my computer  desk.
They've been to Joe or Jimmy's shops a few times, but they are still WAY  more
playable than any production harp I've tried.
>These are good guys - for  15 years they've always backed  their work.

Later,
Rosco

_buy CDs, sample music:CD Baby: maybe  august_
(http://cdbaby.com/cd/maybeaugust)
_www.myspace.com/maybeaugust_ (http://www.myspace.com/maybeaugust)
_may.be  au.gust_ (http://www.maybeaugust.com/)