[Harp-L] Defining Musical Self Gratification (offshoot of Popper criticism rebuke)

Dear List,  I was reading the digest this morning and Noah (Fiesty) Hoehn's John Popper rebuke caught my eye.  I won't get too deep into the Popper discussion, except to say I dig him, and I also liked Noah's sound.  The main purpose of this post, however, is to try and pull out an interesting discussion point from the rebuke.

  Noah asks,  (below) for a definition.  The term he uses does not offend me personally, but I am shackled to a very politically correct work environment.  As such, I want to call the new thread:  "Defining Musical Self Gratification"

  Here's my take on the subject, full of my opinions and subjectivity.

  To some degree, all playing of music is self gratifying.  We play because it makes us feel good.  When playing alone, I say, "whatever floats your boat", and " if it doesn't harm anyone or yourself, go for it".

  When playing for others, though, I try to consider  the audience.  My opinion is that they'll tell you when you're only gratifying yourself. The key being, of course that the musician must CARE about his/her audience and pay attention to their signals.  I've known many a player who only gratifies himself onstage.  I've also known many audiences who are easily gratified.  I suppose there's a lot of leeway.

   If  >10,000+ people can (around BT's heyday) dig Popper's playing live, then he was clearly gratifying more than himself.  If the crowd walks out on a performer who believed he/she was "killing it" then perhaps the only person gratified was the performer.

  Thoughts?

  Dan G.
  www.edbluepills.com
  www.jdbone.com

     Posted by: "Noah Hoehn" nhoehn@xxxxxxxxxxx   Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:55 pm (PST)

DEFINE FOR ME WHAT WACKING OFF ON ONE'S INSTRUMENT IS.

Is it 16th notes? 32nd notes? 64th notes? Since I'm sure that you'll duck
and run under the "just an opinion man..." response... I'd like your opinion
on my playing. That's right--I'm willing to put myself out there on this
one. So as a Popper guy, I'd like you to listen to my stuff at
http://www.viciousa loysius.com/ and tell us what you think.

Feisty,
Noah