[Harp-L] Re: Sharing Harps

Well, I am a biologist, and alcohol is a poor, very poor sanitizing  agent. But it is a good cleaning agent.. The best sanitation is a 1:10  chlorox:water mix, but I have not idea what that will do to your  harps...now the good news is that bacteria need a substrate to multiply  on.... your key should be to keep you harps clean of the mucus that  build up and and food particles and anything sugary (if you drink  regular soft drinks, sugar in your coffee, etc)... The sugar based  contaminants would be the most serious problems. The bacteria are  always present, you breathe them in all the time.. the trick is not to  provide them a medium to multiply on... Bacteria, though would be the  least of my worries, the virus risks is far most serious on sharing  harps... again cleanliness is the key...I have used  the   efferedent trick, the alcohol, and the hydrogen peroxide method... as  far as cleaning i cant tell... may be a good research project for my  students.....