Re: [Harp-L] 12th position

Another way to look at it is this:
The most commonly used positions are 1st,2nd and 3rd. The next easiest
thing to do is to play in the relative minors of these positions (ie
same notes, different key)
4th is the relative minor of 1st
5th the relative minor of 2nd;
12th the relative MAJOR of 3rd (which is minor position anyway, unless
you want to
bend/overblow to make it major

The common patterns one is used to playing in one position can be used
in the relative minor/major, but take on a whole new character. So with
little effort your hard work in the three common positions doubles its
useful value.

RD

>>> "Tim Moyer" <wmharps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 14/12/2006 0:28:31 >>>
michael hines wrote:
> how do i calculate 12th position; song playing
> in A i use which harp?

The easiest way to calculate 12th position (for me) is like this:

The song is in A and I want to try 12th, so if I was playing an A
harp in 2nd position, the song key would be E.  The E harp plays
12th position in the song key of A.

It's also sometimes helpful to think of positions in terms of where
the tonic is located.

1st position: tonic on 1, 4, 7, 10 blow
2nd position: tonic on 2 draw, 3, 6, 9 blow
3rd position: tonic on 1, 4, 8 draw
4th position: tonic on 3 draw wholestep bend, 6 draw
5th position: tonic on 2, 5, 8 blow
12th position: tonic on 2 draw wholestep bend, 5, 9 draw

-tim