[Harp-L] Calculate 12th Position?

Michael Hines asked:

Okay, i came in a bit late on this thread so i need a bit of help. First,
how do i calculate 12th position; song playing in A i use which harp? And
second, how will 12th work for bluegrass?

1. Get a Circle of Fifths diagram (or tool) which marks out the positions by
number. Position the "12" on the music key to be played; i.e., if you want
to play in "A", then position the "12" over the "A", and then read the
harmonica key directly under position 1 (which will be "E").

Please peruse the recent posts in the archives. There are several sources
for FREE Circle of Fifths diagrams or tools (including me). Trust me: you
will find it VERY useful!

Another way to "calculate" 12th position is to realize that playing in the
key associated with the IV of the harmonica key is playing in 12th position.
For example, if you have an "E" harp, that's the I (tonic). The IV is "A";
the V is "B". Instead of playing the scale notes normally associated with
the "E" scale, play the scale associated with the "A" scale, which starts on
hole 5 draw (standard Richter-tuned harp), ascending scale. That particular
"A" scale has a "major scale" sound quality, but is actually in the Lydian
mode.

2. Since it's a major scale, it will probably work pretty good for
bluegrass. However, you must determine what scale notes best fit a
particular song. A lot of bluegrass is in either Dorian or Mixolydian mode,
if it is not Ionian (major scale) mode. Try it and see if it fits the songs
you want to play! If not, don't sweat it: pick something that WORKS for the
song! It's all about the music, NOT all about the position.

HTH,
Crazy ('bout harp!) Bob