RE: [Harp-L] passive aggressive sound guys

I have a different sort of problem:

I don't use volume controls with my bullet mics. To me, they are tone
killers...but that's me.) I tend to "finesse" the notes, using breath
control, cupping technique and/or mic proximity, if playing
acoustically, through a stand-mounted vocal mic. I try to use restraint
on fills, and only play when and where necessary. When it's time to
solo, I'll step up and do my thing.
The problem comes in where the "sound professional" thinks that I am too
quiet in the mix, and cranks me up on the board. Now all the subtlety
and nuance is gone, and the solos are deafening.
I try to tell the sound person, prior to the gig, that I will give
him/her all the notes, chords and amp volume they ask of me during the
initial sound check. This will get the level correct in the mix. But to
please, PLEASE don't touch it after that! If it sounds quiet, it's
because I WANT it to be quiet.
Guitar players constantly mess with their guitars' volume controls and
the sound person doesn't trample small children to get to the board to
"restore order" to the mix. I don't understand. Vocalists "finesse"
their mics, drummers use brushes, horns play "away from the mic". All of
these things alter volume levels and add dynamics. Yet, for some reason,
it is an unwritten rule amongst sound people that every note of the
harmonica has to be front-and-center, and loud as heck.
And we wonder why people cringe when they see a harp player walk onstage
at an open mic...

John Balding