Re: [Harp-L] Epiphone Valve Special

Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:00:46 -0500
From: "Craig Klein" <harmonicacraig@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Epiphone Valve Special
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

  http://www.epephone.com/default.asp?ProductID=255&CollectionID=13
>--
>Peace, Love and Freedom! - Craig

Hi Craig,
  I recently learnt about the Epiphone 5 Watt class A amps.  A local
guitarist has ordered the Valve Junior (a Valve special without the EQ
stack and effects) head.   I've asked to have a play through it (although
it'll be through a quad speaker cab) to see about getting one myself.
  Reading the harmony-central reviews on the Valve Jr (not the Valve
Special), opinions are polarised, in part perhaps to do with taste, but a
number of reviewers comment on the amount of hum.  One of the entries
points to a very cool webpage dedicated to Valve Junior modifications to
get rid of the hum.  http://www.valvejunior.com/
  Said local guitarist is experienced in audio electronics, eg making his
own line of distortion effects pedals, and said the mods work.  However
he's heard Epiphone have since fixed the problems in their lastest
models. Given that at the heart of a Valve Special a Valve Jr is to be
found, I'd say the same applies to that model.
  With all that said, I have a friend who had a career in Music Shop
sales, who's a seasoned harmonica player, didn't think much of the
various Epiphone amps he's tried, and he's tried quite a few.  However he
didn't appear to recogonise the "Valve Jr" model.
  Regardless, I want to hear the amp in action for myself before I put
down good money on it.
-- G.