[Harp-L] Customizing Harp Process

Since, it is a several month wait for a Spears harmonica and Tim is not
making them anymore, I thought I would brush up on my own techniques.  I was
putting this together for a fellow player that I am teaching the basics
about tuning/customizing.  Would love anyone's input, best practices,
missing steps etc. Thanks

My process for tuning harps....

1. Place shop towel/soft cloth on lap and work area. This will prevent screws from bouncing all over the place. 2. Take cover plates off, put place plates bottom, and put screws inside of plate. 3. Remove reed plates and mark blow plate. 4. Lay piece of sandpaper on flat surface. 180 grade good. Sand both sides of comb with figure 8 motion. Blow with compressed air to remove debris. 5. Sand backside of draw plate with same technique. 6. Using brass tool, massage reeds so they are flush with plate. 7. Reshape reed gaps with arc at end. 8. Using socket wrench, penny or ball bearing, carefully run over ¾ of the reed gap to emboss. Plink reed after 2-3 strokes to check. Inspect with light to see progress. 9. Optional: Polish reeds to remove milling marks. 10. ReTune reeds with tuner. Then test octaves, chords. Tune in 20 minute increments. Allow reeds to settle for a day or two before final tuning. 11. Roll back cover plates for increased volume (this varies with model, best on special 20s) 12. Do final check of reed gap and performance by holding with comb and test playing. 13. Seal comb with chapstick, surgical tape, beez wax or salad bowl oil. 14. Screw reed plates back together. 15. Optional: add screws to plates. 16. Put cover plates back on. 17. Optional: round edges of comb and plate to remove sharp edge. Especially helpful for tongue blockers.