[Harp-L] "playing"

Dave Murray wrote:

"You must have never been is one of the country churches in the Ozarks that I was in in my youth. I have no doubt that you could sing with them. Would you tell the nice small church Baptists that they are "not singing" because they are not at the level that you set for singing of choirs? Your context implies a certain level, that you set."

The people there are singing, of course, but you seem to be missing my point: yes, I am trying to define "play" in a specific context. We all play, but the question is can the diatonic harmonically be played chromatically. Well, yes, if we call hitting all the notes playing. But, if one asks can it be done in a musical context, that's another question--and indeed the real one, IMO. I enjoy semantics as much as anyone else (more) but the main issue is not whether the feat can literally be done, but whether the results work in a musical context. Take the above church example: everybody does sing (and it's wonderful when they do), but not everyone sings in the choir. The thing is, we aren't talking about just fooling around-- we're talking about people who put their music out there for public consumption. Those are two very different things, IMO.

For example. My dog can (or could) play the panpipes. He could make noises on them, and (with help) even had a degree of control over which pipe he played at a time (a tiny, all-but nonexistent degree, but a degree). So, the question then becomes can my dog play music on the instrument? Perhaps, depends on how you define music. How about this: can my dog play a pre-existing song on the instrument. No--at least none humans would recognize.

That goes back to this issue of "chromatic diatonic" playing: what is the context we're talking about. If it's one of the player's own making, then my definition might not work for "playing". If the context (as is usually the case) is a defined genre such as straight- ahead jazz (or even the more generic "jazz") then I think my definition of what the criteria for successfully playing the instrument "chromatically" would be a good one. It is, of course, my criteria and obviously others don't think it's a good one. But, I then ask what are the criteria they would set? And, how do those fit into the context of the music being discussed.

Me:
"Part of the problem is that we use the same word for all of this. "Play" is a great verb, but the fact that both Allen Iverson and I "play" basketball seems to be more than a bit over-arching."

DAve Murray:

"Why? My daughter plays basketball on a girls JV team. She's no Allen Iverson. Would you say that she is not playing basketball? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I think that you should consider that what you are calling context is setting the bar at an elite level and then saying that people who don't make it to that level are not doing what they are doing at all. Play is a verb, as you say. It does not imply the level of play without other words to establish that."

Yes, I am setting the bar high, because that is the context: publicly presented music. That is an elite level. Moreover, it is one which not only is open to but invites criticism. If someone were to write a highly critical, often negative review of your daughter's performance it would be cruel: she's out there to have fun and is a child. But, if someone were to do that for a professional like Iverson it would be simply their honest review of his performance. The reason for the difference is that he puts himself out there for criticism, it's expected and if anything needed. For the most part I avoid specific comments on individual players, but if someone puts something out for criticism, then it's fair game. And when they do that, by definition the bar is going to be set at a higher level than it is for me in my living room.

Dave Murray:

"I play the harmonica. No doubt, my playing is poor and would not approach your standards. But telling me that I am not playing the harp because I'm not at the level that you establish is actually insulting. I'm a bit too thick skinned to care, but it is. There is no flame in that."

I'm not saying that you don't play the instrument. What I am saying is that I have yet to hear anyone play the diatonic harmonica "chromatically" in the contexts I gave. The two are different statements. However, I stand by the idea that perhaps there should be a different verb for when criticism is intended than when it isn't. But, there isn't, so the need for putting the words into context for such a discussion as this. Thus the need to define "play" specifically for this discussion.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()   & Snuffy, too:)
`----'