[Harp-L] re:shortly chromatic, 2

Ken in Ga writes:

" Let me offer definitions to make everyone to come to same conclusion. "

Why? There's nothing wrong with open-ended discussion. Not resolving things is one of the great things about lists like this one--it allows for a more fluid dialogue which can evolve over time.

Ken in Ga, again:

" Diatonic;  notes found in major or minor scales
 Chromatic;  colorful,  notes foreign to a key or scale, e.g., # or b
with series of notes   moving in half steps"

I would avoid the use of "colorful", indeed, I'd say a purely chromatic scale is a lot less colorful as it lacks any form of character. I'd basically go with this (with the caveat that this applies only to Western music):

Diatonic music centers around a singular key and those closely related to that key. Chromatic music moves between all.

Ken in Ga:

" Chromatic scales; a scale composed of all 12 half steps of an octave"

I would go with that, although I'd point out that you need to define half-step first, noting that there can be many more than "all" 12 notes per octave, but that's another discussion.

Ken in Ga:

" I agree with Rubin that it is possible to
play shortly chromatic if you are skilled. However, it is impossible,
IMO, to play a chromatic scale in any key of diatonic in one breath, C C#
D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C. "

So, it's possible but it isn't? I'm not one for dichotomies, but I'd say the two sentences are contradictory. If you can't play a chromatic scale on the diatonic (as "play" was defined--more than just being able to simply access the pitches) then you can't play the diatonic "chromatically".

Now, that last sentence shouldn't be stretched. I'm not even saying you can't play highly chromatic music using the diatonic(s), just that you can't play the diatonic as if it had no limitations in those regards, as if every note was just the same as everything else irregardless of whether it is a natural or accidental note.

Ken in Ga:

" I agree with Bulldog Ross in this respect. I
am not aware of any diatonic player who can do this although you may know
some one. "

I certainly haven't, and frankly I think the myth that there is someone out there who can or the messianic belief that someday, someone will break through the barriers of this physical reality and make it happen is not of much use--indeed, I'd say they are hindrances more than anything else.

Ken in Ga:

" I have not seen any harp music that has chromatic scale for
diatonic. I have seen Blackie Schackner playing chromatic scales on a
Hohner chromonica 270 at SPAH. If you have a problem playing
chromatically on a diatonic, you can hold 2 diatonics and play
chromatically as described in my previous posts, e.g., C & C#, G & Ab. "

A great suggestion. I think that you can play most music using diatonics, it's just finding the right approach for the song and so forth. Multiple harmonicas (in various key relationships), alternate tunings, extensive bends and overblows, etc... all are great ways of getting there, when used in such a way as to take advantage of them, and not in ways that expose their flaws and failings.

One thing which I focus on is trying to take advantage of the strengths of the instrument, and avoid it's weaknesses as much as possible (excepting when I want to use those for effect). To me the "chromatic diatonic" approach basically ignores the strengths and emphasizes the weaknesses. Moreover, often the claims made for this approach simply don't match up with the reality.

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () & Snuffy, too:) `----'