Re: [Harp-L] Customizing problems/ Chris where is you at HELP!!

By the way tons of people can play a chromatic scale in one breath perfectly
in tune on diatonic... where have you been??? Put MP, Michalek or George
Brooks or me or half the people on this list up against the bend O meter any
day baby! Bring it on!!!! John Henry style! Chris where are you!!!???

While I admittedly don't have the best ear, and also enjoy the harp playing of some people who are not held in the highest esteem on this list for their harp laying skills, I'll go on to say the following. The issue that seems to come up in this kind of discussion seems to center on tone and intonation. Often the point of reference is other instruments that are chromatic without special skills.

The only players on the list that I've heard live are Chris (quite a few times) and you, Jason, (once). The others I have heard recorded. It has been good music, enjoyed by everyone present. That should be enough, but some choose to argue that it isn't.

I don't think that most music lovers who do not know about the limitations of the diatonic harp would perceive anything "strange" about any of the notes that they hear from the players that you mention. That should be enough, but some choose to argue that it isn't.

The diatonic harp has it's own sound, that is why the players who have devoted the time in the wood shed that it takes to play like that. It's not because they couldn't learn to play a slide harp, obviously they could. People who enjoy listening don't enjoy it because of a "Wow, you're not supposed to be able to do that!" factor, they enjoy the music.

I don't have the time for the wood shed that it would take for me to learn to do that, but I'm not about to let the taste of sour grapes drive me to look for ways to find fault with the music of those who have. I know that Chris is conscious of the tone thing because he has devoted a lot of work towards reducing perception to tone and intonation effects to the point that very few would notice, and even fewer would choose to mention. It is certainly down below the noise level of "it's a harmonica."

The bottom line of this ramble is that it is clear that people do play the diatonic harp as a chromatic instrument. To say that they aren't is a bit like saying that a gifted singer can't sing chromatically because there is a small difference in tone when they shift from belly, to chest, to head while singing in different octaves. I just don't get why anyone would make such an argument in this day and age. Chromaticism has arrived for the diatonic. At least it is clear enough for my ear.

Peace and music,
Dave