[Harp-L] re: shortly chromatic

Michael Rubin wrote:

"Sorry for misspelling Bulldogge."

Not a problem--just trying to avoid confusion is all.

MR again:

" Okay, by your definition, no one plays fully chromatic."

Not on the diatonic, no.

MR:

" Still, I disagree with your definition in terms of what "playing" is. I think it has more to do with making sounds that you like, not creating a sound that would get one into the symphony. "

It depends on context, as always. If the context is playing music you write in a style of your own, or a fairly fluid style like rock or pop, then whatever sounds you like is a fine criteria. If the context is playing a pre-existing song or within a defined genre, then the definition of "play" I gave tends to be pretty accurate (whether simply "playing" the song, in the genre or "chromatically")-- IMO. of course.

MR:

" I didn't pick up harp because it sounds perfect. IMO, part of the problem with overblowers is their incessant need to be on pitch. "

I would disagree entirely: intonation is massively important. It's not the same for all genres, of course, and there can be differences in tolerances for intonation problems, but in most highly chromatic Western musics, intonation is vitally important.

MR:

"But if I want to create new melodic lines informed by the restrictions of the positions and rock out with some raw diatonic sounds, I'll play diatonic fully chromatically!"

Then I would say you aren't really playing chromatically--you're doing something else. And more power to you for that. It all depends on the context of what you play. If you're doing the above in a jazz standards setting, I can't imagine it working. Perhaps in an avant-garde noise-oriented group or such it might be perfect. But, if the context is playing music usually considered highly chromatic, then I'd say that the approach fails.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()   & Snuffy, too:)
`----'