[Harp-L] Customization Problems

Mostly, the problem I'm having is buzzing reeds when I'm done customizing a harp. I'm not fine motor skill oriented so I was very surprised my first 2 or 3 Special 20's came out as good as harps I've bought from customizers. Then things started going badly.

I begin with the flat brass bar & 002 auto shim/reed flattening technique from Ruperts video (8 firm passes); then about 4 medium firm passes w/ a 7/16 socket for slot embossing; then Ruperts video radical reed shaping 1/8 inch at the heel by the rivet pad; then gap by drawing the flat brass bar over the reed with a 002 shim under it as shown by Kinya Pollard in 'Harmonica Workbench'; fine tune the gap with brass pick; check the tuning and flat the 5 and 9 to -29 cents for Just Intonation.

Every SP20 I do now I get 1 or 2 reeds that buzz and rattle (especially blow reeds) even after shaving/polishing the edge of the slot with a shim. Reed alignment doesn't usually correct the buzz. I think it might be burrs. The harps are super responsive, maybe a little too bright compared to stock, but I can't seem to fix all the buzz and rattle reeds. Sometimes the 2 or 3 draw  is weak. I'm looking to keep ahead of my own SP 20's, 2 or 3 sets/year.

Any clues from the list experts what I'm doing wrong, or how to go at it without my creating the buzzes in the first place? Thanks in advance.

nonametribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.