Re: [Harp-L] Folk disagreement

I'm going to chime in with Thurg here.

Folk as I describe it is not a subset of anything else.

It's the origin of the term "folk". This concept and this term have
been around with this meaning for a good 200 years, maybe longer.

The practice, as opposed to the term, goes back into the mists of time.

Everything that Michael describes came along recently, and largely for
commercial reasons, with only a tangential relation to actual folk
music.

For some reason the music business fastened on the term "folk" in the
mid-1950s and attached it to people like Peter, Paul, and Mary, the
Kingston Trio, and other music business acts, and used this as a
vehicle for selling a product to the public. This seems to have built
on the practice started by Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger of repurposing
(some would say hijacking) folk music as a vehicle for social protest.
(This is not a commentary on their politics or the rightness of their
goals, only on the distorted perception that they created of what folk
music is.)

The good will created by the folk protest movement and its image for
folksiness were ripe targets for commercial exploitation in a time when
modernization was leading to alienation and nuclear destruction seemed
to threaten from every side.

Later, both marketing threads came together in the person of Bob Dylan,
who then added a third element - the singer-songwriter who plays an
acoustic guitar. This further generated an idiom of highly personal
songwriting that is the antithesis of the shared experience that is
fundamental to the term "folk".

Along with this came a lot of bad rack harmonica playing that has had
an unfortunate influence on the playing of harmonica by actual folk
musicians (obligatory harmonica content).

Now it may well be that, as Michael describes from his own experience,
that in the wake of all that politicizing and money making, people of
good will have started doing things that they innocently refer to folk
music even though it is not folk music.

This is not to comment on the honesty or good will of those people or
on the musical or social value of what they do. Though clearly,
Michael's "subset" description points to a distorted understanding that
does not sit well with people who understand the origin of the term and
who value what it means.

One of the results of the perceptions described above is that people
involved with actual folk music now tend to use the term traditional
music instead. Eventually someone will figure out how to distort and
exploit that, too, and we'll have to find another descriptive term.

The weather is pretty nice here. Why am I being so crabby?

Winslow