[Harp-L] Bad JT-30 Ground

I've got a JT-30 that a buddy of mine customized a million years ago. It had an XLR and he added a screw on and a volume control and I used it for years and I put it away for a long time and just brought back out. Apparently it has a bad ground? It hums. When I touch the collar of the screw-on connector the hum goes away. I opened it up and the ground wire is screwed into the back of the mic so I guess the ground problem is in the volume control connections. Any suggestions for a quick and easy fix? I'm not exactly Mr. Electronic Handy Man, especially is small spaces.
Thanks
Ryan

Share your latest news with your friends with the Windows Live Spaces friends module. http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mk