Re: Re: [Harp-L] Train wreck recovery

Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The best recovery I ever saw from a botched performance was at a male chorus concert
> I attended about 15 years ago in Falmouth, MA.
>
> It was the climactic piece of the performance, and the ending somehow went completely
> astray.  The conductor waited until the sympathetic applause had died down, then said
> to the chorus, sweetly but loudly enough to be heard throughout the room, "Let's try that
> again, shall we?"  He counted it off, and they sang it again, perfectly this time.  The
> applause was thunderous.  I loved it.

i have a nice recording of a Coltrane set from 1961-11-20.  at one point
they have just finished Naima, to loud applause.  then started into
My Favorite Things.  then stopped, then started, then stopped.
Coltrane then rather sheepishly says:

    thank you very kindly, ladies and gentlemen.

    um, that tune we just played was from, uh, our atlantic recording record
    named giant steps, and it was called Naima.

    um, we're having a little difficulty right now because, uh, you were
    applauding, something like this.  and uh, i started, and they thought
    that i meant for them to start it...i really didn't mean it then.  uh,
    now we gonna play the tune that we call My Favorite Things and, uh, I
    hope that we get it started this time.

you hear laughter in the background, as they launch into a great version of
the song.

so if your train wrecks, at least you're in good company...

----
Garry Hodgson, Senior Software Geek, AT&T CSO

But I'm not giving in an inch to fear
'Cause I promised myself this year
I feel like I owe it...to someone.