Re: [Harp-L] Danny Boy

Londerry Aire (Danny Boy) is originally in Eb, but it is (trad. Irish) so old, no one knows when it was written (the music, that is). I believe the lyrics were tacked on around WWI + - ? give or take. Most singers have trouble in the high tenor range that Eb requires, and most times I have heard it sung, it was in Bb or C. The Marine band has a singer who does it in C and that's still pretty high.

Londonderry Aire is one of those tune that can stand alone. Usually done as a dirge for the first 8-12 bars or so and then the background (if any) comes in and the pace is quickened to a 2 step. I use a Bb in 'smokey' tuning which negates the need for the F, then I modulate to a B 'smokey' which negates the need for the F#. Charley uses 4 harps, I use 2. Simple as that.

I also do a middle improv portion using a chromo on occasion. Especially if I have no background.

A lot of tunes can stand alone. It depends on the players ability to do a 'second' (or complimentary) part between the solo phrasing. The list I posted the other contains many tunes capable of standing alone.

Rocky Top is an example of a tune where you DON't want the 5th reed raised because you are going very fast and won't be able to get it bent down fast enough on the words 'Home, sweet, home'. (Well, maybe 'someone' can). Ditto with Bobbie McGhee. The improv part needs that natural F (not sharped).

smokey-joe