Fwd: [Harp-L] Standalone harp songs

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Matt Smart" <matthewsmart@...>
wrote:

Sometimes when I perform at open mics, I like to play and sing songs by
myself.  I do nine below zero (sorta like carlos del junco) and I'm a
man.
Can anyone recommend any other songs that would go well without other
musicians? I was trying to find a new one to learn. Not every song works
that way...

**************
Matt, I play solo quite a bit, and find that most old blues songs that
I like can work (and not just blues, but that's mostly what I play).  I
definitely don't look for harp songs.  It's just a new arrangement.
I'm thinking while typing...maybe the older acoustic blues work better
(?), but certainly even electric blues band songs can be adapted/re-
arranged (a lot of electric blues nband songs are based on older
acoustic blues anywat!).  Hmmmm... Some I do:  Pallet on Your Floor
(John Hurt style), Statesbore Blues (McTell style), Come in My
Kitchen.  Maybe it depends on how comfortable and engaging you are
singing, and critically how well you can keep the groove going when
switching from playing to singing and back.  I think I just work up
songs that I love and am motivated to perform and figure out how to
make it work.
My 2 cents.
--John K.