[Harp-L] Standalone harp songs

>>Sometimes when I perform at open mics, I like to play and sing songs by
myself....Can anyone recommend any other songs that would go well without other
musicians? I was trying to find a new one to learn. Not every song works
that way...<<

  What style of music are you looking for?  I know a few tunes from pop, soul, jazz, musicals, classical.

  In general, I find that if a song sounds good a cappella, or sung without instrumental accompiment, then it will probably sound good on harmonica without accompaniment.

  One lucky shortcut for me was that I listened to and sang along to Harry Connick Jr's "We Are in Love" album (1990) long before I ever thought to play those songs on harmonica- so I was able to play them by ear quickly since I memorized them in detail.  The album has covers of classics that you mostly already have heard before.  I choose to mention this because Connick's singing style is clean and melodic-- good to mimic on harp.  I suppose I should credit him as one of my teachers.

  LC