[Harp-L] Echo reverb query.

Hi guys,
  Since it's the season, I've been looking around to improve my current two
effect pedals: Dan Echo(mod) and Digiverb.  And want stereo input/output
delay/echo with tap, and a nice stereo reverb effect.  Sounding good is
importatn, and versatility is very desirable.
  I've looked at the rack units around in the under US$300 mark,
The TC Electronic M350 looks the most promising for both stereo delay and
reverb, with an additional pedal you get tap and bypass, although there is
a lag when choosing between patches - since this would be by hand, it
hardly matters.  But it's designed for line level input, so either needs a
proper preamp before it, or use the FX out line from a mixer (most of which
only have mono output), and not really the best for plugging a microphone
into though.
  The Lexicon MPX200 looked kind of promising, more limited in
configurations, also it's effects are not rated as highly as the TC M-350
or Lexicon MX-200, but the inputs handle instrument as well as line level
signals.  It doesn't have tap as such, but rather "audio tap", hold down an
external pedal and play into it, it picks up the beat and bases the echo on
that.  Not ideal.
  The Lexicon MX-200 looks more versatile than the MPX-200, and on a par
with the TC M-350 (and more expensive down here), but no tap using a foot
pedal ... and again it's line level input only.
  Racks are bulky compared to most pedals, pretty tough to have onstage and
accessable, so they'd have to be pretty special to get serious attention.
***
So to the more conventional route, pedals:
  For stereo in/out delay echo pedals, all bar one of the compact pedals on
the market either don't have tap, or have a seriously messed up method of
accessing tap, including the Boss DD-6 (or DigiDelay for that matter, but
it's mono input).   Leaving IMO three contenders:
Boss Giga Delay DD-20, Line6 DL4, and Line6 Echo Park
  The Line6 DL4 comes out swinging in terms of getting analogue delays,
with lots of different sounds, and some fun extras.  I've heard it put
through it's paces by guitarists in a live setting, as well as at a music
store as it was being tried out for all it was worth.  It also has tap, and
three memory settings.  I'd probably go for this but for one glaring
drawback - looking through the one hundred or so reviews on Harmony
Central, the majority of professional musicians have warned that they break
easily - the foot pedals are poorly designed.  I wish it were otherwise -
but this is a huge negative in my book.
  The EchoPark is kind of promising, and some of the local guitarists are
saying its a good substitute for the DL4 that doesn't take as much space.
Of course it doesn't have the same range of features, but it does have tap,
and a good selection.  The main thing that I don't like is the reviews
saying it increases gain when used - I don't like that at all, echo
shouldn't change the original sound, only the repeats... with the exception
of reverse, and modulated.  The other thing is concerns for the dial
  So at the moment the Boss DD-20 is what I'm seriously looking at.  It has
a lot of functionality, it has a nice looong memory for most of the effects
as well as limited looping sound on sound . It allows combining two echo
effects.  Where the Line6 DL4's strength is in analogue echo & delay, the
DD-20's stength is in Digital Delay, although it features DM-2 style echo
and Roland tape echo effects.  It has nice transitions between effects.
It has an accurate means of setting delay by dial, or tap.  You can plug in
a third foot switch to make accessing features easier.  It's a strong
sturdy design.  And it's cheaper.
***
And for the reverb, the pickings are slimmer.  When I was looking for a
reverb pedal a while back I got to A/B the DigiVerb against the Boss DV-6,
and the DigiVerb won hands down - because the Boss unit was so glaringly
digital, nasty break up, which is great if you want a real synthy sound,
but hardly attractive if you're wanting a natural warm room reverb, or
emulate the spring reverb of a classic amp.  The DigiVerb is good,
especially for the price, however its mono input, and there is a subtle
edge of distortion when driven - I can hear it if I listen for it.  And I'd
prefer my reverb to be transparent, unless I specifically want to go for an
effect.   Hughs and Ketchner is an expensive one (or two) trick pony, there
are other expensive reverb units out there, but the reviews don't convince
me they're worth it - eg. Holy Grails are relatively limited to what they
offer compared to the DigiVerb and some reviews report a fair amount of
noise.
  So it was with some surprise that I found the Line6 ToneCore Verbzilla
has consistantly good reviews. On it's clarity, on the natural sound of the
different reverbs, on it's range of features.  People who drew comparisons
to other gear they have rate it above the DigiVerb, H&K and Holy Grails.
The only thing really against it (and this is the same for the EchoPark) is
the dials are quite flimsy.

The point of this email really is to get feedback from Harp-L members who
have experience with any of the above, and possibly other suggestions for
good stereo input/output echo/delay & reverb effects.

Thanks in advance,
-- G.