[Harp-L] scales

Here's how I introduce this concept to my students.

At the first lesson, the major diatonic scale (4hole exhale - 7hole exhale) is introduced. Homework is to work it up and down until it is learned at a rudimentary level.

At the second lesson, a simple folk/nurseryrhyme/americana tune is introduced. It is described as a little melody that "lives in the scale". In other words, all the notes of the melody are lifted out of the scale/taken from the note choices within the scale. For instance, the opening line to "Follow the Yellow Brick Road" is shown to be nothing more than the first 4 notes of the major diatonic scale played up and down NOT AS A SCALE, but as music. The scale (mother) gives birth to the melody (child). Homework is to find 2 other well known tunes that "live in the scale".

This helps give the student an understanding of the relationship between scales and melodies without burdening them with too much theoryspeak.

This concept is carried over into blues scales/blues ideas, pentatonic scales/country ideas, etc, as lessons progress.

Scales are outlines of note choices.

The Iceman