Re: [Harp-L] Tunings: PR vs MM vs CT

Fred S wrote:
<My final thought was that
<country tuning is the least useful of the three most common alternate major
<tunings (PR/MM/CT) for melodic playing  since it is missing the 2nd degree
<unbent on the 3 blow like the PR and MM, and is probably most useful for
<chordal playing.  Anyway, after putting together this thesis, I thought I'd
<run it by the harp-l experts.  The thesis being: 1) PR very generally useful
<and a definite preferred option on many songs, 2) MM can be fun to play and
<is also most preferred on specific songs, 3) CT is not so useful unless you
<want the I. IV. V chords.

Country tuning is one of my all-time favorites, and of the three you've mentioned above
it's probably the easiest for traditional blues players to learn and use.  It works brilliantly on
blues and country music, and in lots of other situations.

In general, players shouldn't have to choose one tuning over the others.  In musical terms,
no single harp is "best" for all occasions, just as no single position on a standard harp is best
for all occasions.  Speaking practically, harmonicas are still pretty inexpensive.  Many players
can afford to have all three of these tunings in their harp cases, certainly for keys that are
frequently used.  It's really not very hard to learn these alternate tunings in particular--just
carry one of them in your pocket for a month or so, and play it the way you'd play a standard
tuning.  After a very little while you'll begin to hear, and use, the differences.

FYI, my solo recording of "Billy the Kid," available for listening at http://www.broadjam.com/rhunter,
is played in 2nd position on a country-tuned Lee Oskar diatonic.  "Big 17," available at the same location,
is played solo in 2nd position on a Lee Oskar Melody Maker in D.  The emotional differences in the
performances say a lot about the nature of the two tunings.  I'd hate to give up either.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com