Subject: [Harp-L] Harmonica Conventions in General

Smo-Joe writes (Majorly snipped):

"Personally, I see the jazz jam going belly up. I am used to
playing in a club/bar/rest where there are windows, the atmosphere  is
a vacation, carnival, sojourner, atmosphere and everyone is  there to
have a good time. The lighting is subtle and there is a  lot of 'eye
candy' to look at, maybe a view of the waterfront,  etc. The whole
mood is very very different than what we're  experiencing in these
windowless, brightly lit, walltex covered  boxes. I can't see how that
can be cured.
Let's face it guys, people just don't want to listen to  jass
any more. If you're getting less than 28 listeners. what's  the point?"

------------------------------
.....Well, if anyone has a  right to comment (or be spoiled), it'd be
you....with a very unique  perspective on conventions...and with as many as you've
attended, we get a  real inside peek into the past.

Great post, with much food for thought....I don't drink much at all,  but I
do resent the attitude towards those who enjoy more than the  occasional
libation....$8.00+ for a tiny shot of Courvoisier was just a  bit too
much....luckily for me I water it down and make it last for  hours.

I'll only argue with you on your point about Jazz....hey if 28 people  are
willing to be there and listen to YOU play....as well as the other  great jazz
guys, accept it and enjoy it.  It's worth it.....   I've seen Jason Ricci & New
Blood play to an almost empty room...and  put on just as vibrant a show as
they would to a full house...

.....so how is someone like me ever going to learn to play jazz on my  chrom
if you guys close up shop due to low attendance?  Come on,  cheer up.  We'll
all work on it...and make next year's Buckeye and  then SPAH the best Jazz
jam/showcase ever....even if I have to do it  purely as an audience participant.

I have a feeling Mr. Singer has something up his sleeve as well...so  let's
not quit yet.

Elizabeth