Re: [Harp-L] Musicians' etiquette

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Buxman" <beabsurd@xxxxxxxxx>

> All of which begs the question...is there a cool, unobtrusive way to ask
> sit in? How do some of you do it?

I've sat in with a ton of bands this summer including the most recent
incarnation
of Canned Heat.  I never ask if I can sit in,  I'm always invited, and it's
fairly easy
to do.  First dress the part, show up at the gig looking like a musician.
When I sat in
with Canned Heat, the guitar player approached ME after the first set and
asked if I was
a guitar player.  When I told him I played harp, he brought Robert Lucas
over, we talked for a while,
and they invited me to sit in during the next set.  Also, give the band the
attention they deserve while
performing, chat them up during the break, and more often than not you'll
get invited up.

Mark