[Harp-L] SPAH 2006

I agree with most of what's been said about SPAH so far. Jason has a  wall of
sound and a world of stunning musical energy that seems to be boundless.
Michalek is a scary monster. Filisko is perhaps the best thing that's ever
happened for modern diatonic blues players (and other genres as well) and  his
three day teach-in alone is worth the price of the whole  deal. P.T. Gazell is one
of the tastiest and most unique players I've ever  heard. George Brooks plays
some of the most inventive and smartly  musical diatonic I've ever laid ears
on. Dennis Gruenling's smooth,  swinging, tone soaked blues grooves blow me
away. Bonfiglio, just  remarkable. Lot of superlatives there and I could go
on....

The problem with naming names is that it gets you caught up in a  maze of
memories that threatens burn you if you leave anyone out and I probably  will.
But I can't help acknowledging those who really affected me this  year....Warren
Bee (yeah, he's all that), Half-Ben
Nathanson (thanks for the head wounds Ben),  Scott "Meteor Man" Berberian,
Tim Moyer (more head wounds), Too  Cool Johnny Bishop, Michael Rubin (whom I
wish would return to this list),  Jellyroll Johnson, Dick Anderson, David XB
Fairweather, Jimi Lee, Mojo Red,  John Kally, Hobo from Germany, Dennis "Mr.
Microphone" Oellig, Paul  Messinger (Zen President - yeah!), Michael Polesky, Joe
Powers (watch out for  this guy), Brad Harrison (Suzuki is doing some really
cool things), Javier from  Chile, Bobbie Giordano (nice pins!). Hanging out with
and  listening to these people is what it's all about. Smokey Joe, I don't
know how  we missed each other man!

And then there's guys like The Amazing Buzz Krantz and The Astounding  Jimmy
Gordon (no, actually there are no guys like Buzz and Jimmy. That  might be a
good thing.)

All things considered SPAH was the major highlight of my  summer. Be there
next year if you have to beg borrow or steal. Thanks  to all for the kind
mentions of my name. Is this a mutual admiration society or  what?

Still stunned,

t. albanese
(small fish / big pond)

PS: My thanks to outgoing president Paul Davies and all the staff at SPAH
for a great job.

PPS: New Blood is a marathon band. Those guys have too much soul and can
play forever.

PPPS to the guy who had the high bid on the Meteor: dude, your life has
changed  forever.