Re: [Harp-L] Personal Toungue Switching Breakthrough

Will,

>From how you describe it, I'm feeling excitement and good emotions coming from you regarding this personal discovery.

As a novice, it is most important to follow the positive feelings and hear an improvement in your sound, getting excited by the process. Whether this is the best "professional" way to work the technique is secondary at this stage of your development, IMO.

Follow the sound. There is no right/wrong. If the sound pleases you (and at least a few of your listeners), go for it.

Eventually, as you progress and if you are a serious student, you'll want to find better and/or more efficient ways to play your instrument. Believe me, all you need do is ask on this list and you will receive plenty of suggestions and opinions.

When I teach a student, I'll listen to the sound he produces with my eyes closed. If the sound is wonderful, I won't suggest much of a change in approach at that time. If the student hits a wall using his personal technique, I might suggest refinements or alternatives.

For instance, I feel that playing harmonica with the curl tongue technique is limiting and would never teach that method. One need only listen to Norton Buffalo to realize how beautiful this approach can sound. I'd hardly argue with him regarding technique.

However, if Norton came to me wanting a bigger Chicago Blues TB slap sound, I'd suggest that he explore a different technique to get the best results.

The Iceman

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Will Vogtman
<will_vogtman@...> wrote:

This is probably obvious to many players out there.  However, I'm not
a novice (not yet an expert) and this is near epiphany to me.

  I've been working of and on for a few years trying to get a fast
toungue switching warble with only limitted success.  Then, just a few
minutes ago (in one of my summertime nocturnal adventures) I had a
thought--"Hey id10t, don't move your toungue!  Cement your toungue to
the harp and shake your head!"   It still needs some refinement, but I
am leaps and bounds ahead of where I was a little bit ago.

  Tought I'd pass it on.

  Will

--- End forwarded message ---