[Harp-L] Re:How they learned harmonica in the olden days

Beings my dad is not here to speak for himself and he is my inspiration for
learning harp, I will speak on his behalf.  I'll also "throw in" my own
story too.
My dad learned to play while in the Army.  Not sure where he got his first
harp, probably at the PX.  While on long, boring maneuvers he would sit in
his truck and sound out any song he could think of.  He was a truck/jeep
driver and never left his vehicle no matter how long the GI's were out.  I
remember growing up sitting on the floor while dad played old hymns, marches
and Christmas carols.....I'd give anything to listen to that again!!  (I
don't remember rolling my eyes like my teenagers do, though.....hmmmmm??)
My dad passed away almost 7 years ago this October. I miss him so much!
A few years ago, my mom and I were on a cruise in the Carribean, I heard
a gospel group called "The Impressions" and a talented harp player named
Brad Lepper.  I think he was 17 years old back in Jan. 2003.  I was really
missing my dad then and when I heard him playing those gospel songs, I was
just overwhelmed with emotion.  Brad was at the table w/his family selling
their CD's.  He also is endorsed by Hohner and had harps for sale with
"Amazing Grace" rolled up inside the harp case.  I "had" to buy one. I
played around with it for awhile, but just couldn't figure it out.  Dad
always made it look so easy!  Two years later, last January 2005, I found
the harp in with my postcards and stuff from my cruise.  We had just started
attending a new church the year before that has a live band that writes and
plays original music.  I decided to "get serious" and learn how to play.  I
found some of David Barrett's instruction, Jon Gindick's book, David Harp,
Charlie McCoy.......I started taking music theory lessons because my music
background was middle school concert clarinet.....which was better than
nothing!  I now jam with a bluegrass group,  duo with my cousin (mostly
bluegrass) and I play along at home with the blues and contemporary
christian music.  I hope to one day be able to play in front of others, but
for right now the thought of it makes me weak in the knees!!  How do you get
over that??  Any suggestions.....??
I personally love the stories...old geezer and young geezer!!  I also get a
kick out of the bantering that sometimes goes on between the masters and the
"crap" musicians!  : D  Just kidding!  I've learned so much from you all and
am very grateful for your contributions. I hope one day to meet the Iceman,
Jason Ricci, Madcat, Dennis Grueling, Jon Gindick, David Barrett.....and
all the other master and crap musicians out there!!