[Harp-L] Question for Marine Band players

I have a question for those of you who play unmodified Marine Bands. I have noticed lately that the finish on the wooden comb is applied differently. In the past, the finish was apparently applied before the channels were cut, so that the tips of the tines were finished, but not down into the channels. Now it appears that the finish is applied after the channels are cut, so that while the insides of the channels are not specifically finished, some of the finishing material extends down into the channels. I'm guessing that this change might be due to the way finish is applied to Marine Band Deluxe combs.

My question is, have you noticed newer Marine Bands being less suceptible to swelling than older ones? I would think that this "overspray" would afford some protection for the wood. I'm wondering how significant it is.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/