[Harp-L] Re: Harp Legacy of young geezers

I got my first harp almost three and a half years ago after falling in love
with Bob Dylan's music.  My attempts at learning guitar were not going well,
and I wanted to try a completely different instrument.  Harp was the right
choice.  I learned the basics from Dave Gage's site back when it was free.
That summer I studied abroad in Russia, and I had become bored with my first
position song tabs, so I took my rudimentary bending technique and basically
taught myself to play second position.  I would play for at least an hour or
two every afternoon in my empty dorm room.  (I'd wait to go into town until
later, because the sun doesn't "set" until 4:00 AM or so in St. Petersburg.)
I also accidentally got my first overblow that summer.  When I got back to
the States, I learned the blues scale outright and also started work on
tongue slaps and vibrato.  I learned embouchure from Gage's site but
otherwise I was almost completely self-taught until Jason Ricci turned me
onto Harp-L.

Jonathan Metts