[Harp-L] How we learned diatonic harmonica in the "olden days"

It's like a wonderful little form of folk literature has emerged in this
thread from which the Iceman cometh...fascinating to map the divergent paths  &
overlaps in these harmonica journeys...My own entry came by way of a  different
access road.  Started at 13 singing lead in surf-music bands in a  very
surf-free area of upstate New York, mainly because I had the balls to do it  and no
skills at all on guitar, bass or drums.  Was overheard singing Otis'  version
of "That's How Strong My Love In" in the high-school hallway a year  later
and, to my amazement, found myself fronting an (otherwise) all-black soul  band.
 Gigged some frat parties and roadhouse gigs along Route 17 through  high
school, still a stone soul kid, a Roy Head/Mitch Ryder wannabe/devotee  until a
classical violinist girl-friend turned me on to that Rosetta Stone that  haunts
so many of these narratives, The Paul Butterfield Blues Band LP ("This
record should be played LOUD!")  Was immediately and permanently turned  out.
During two years at Stony Brook college I hooked up with a Long  Island guitarist
with impeccable chops and God's own collection of blues  albums.  IIt was cool
singing lead in the blues band that evolved but once  again troubled by my
own lack of an instrument other than throat.  Then  providence came in the shape
of Junior Wells.  (And who better?)  It  was that fantastic early album with
Buddy Guy--the one with "Snatch It Back and  Hold It"--that somehow convinced
me I could play harp.  As so many  brothers of my generation have attested
there was basically no way IN to playing  harp back then--it was basically you
and this puzzling inanimate object that  held astonishing power if only you
could unlock it.  My guitarist told me  about cross-harp and bought me a Marine
Band in D and suddenly we were snatchin'  it back and holdin' it, too, after our
fashion.  All my harp playing  basically evolved from my singing.  I caught
Wolf and Muddy at Stony Brook,  the Butterfield Band live at the Cafe Au Go Go
(with a 22-year-old Linda  Ronstadt, already a star with "Different Drum,"
sitting at the next  table in the shortest denim skirt it is possible to
conceive)--those gigs in  particular were transcendent...Walking down West 4th Street
on a Saturday  morning trying to shake off an insanely creepy
methedrine-and-phenobarbitol high  I was greeted by the sight of James Cotton strolling
merrily along the sunlit  pavement and hitting those high blow-bends as he walked,
alone in his own  world.  I thought I must be hallucinating.  By some kind of
grace, I  wasn't.  Things like that can keep you deeply, deeply hooked on harp.
  And I get the feeling they've happened to many of us...Anyhow I wanted to
play  blues and other music too, and instinct told me that since I'd never be a
 virtuoso I'd better learn to put my heart in anything I blow.  My bandmates
sometimes called me a "rock harp" player because our original stuff was not
strictly blues-based and I experimented with other kinds of
tonalities--failing  and succeeding, but fortunately the ratio began to improve...Time spent
playing  in horn bands taught me volumes--as much about restraint as about
release--but  it was all intuited, there was No Guru, No Method, No Teacher, to
quote an old  Van Morrison album-title.  In recent years as various kinds of
instruction  began to fall from the skies I've been grateful for every piece of
technique  they've provided.  But, like some others who've born witness, I'm
grateful  that I had some time to figure out a little bit of what I wanted to say
before I  took the elocution lessons.  (Though now I have come to love the
elocution  lessons, the Zen of scales, the mindfulness, too.)

To me, the striking thing about this thread is that, in some way, the
stories all seem to have happy endings...

Peace and Respect
Johnny T