[Harp-L] How we learned diatonic harmonica in the "olden days:"

How did you other "old guys" learn to play before 21st Century teaching aids
were created?

The Iceman

I learned the instrument at my father's knee.  He was a member of the
harmonica bands in Chicago in the 1930s.  I played lots of old ballads, Xmas
songs, and campfire tunes during most of my childhood.  Dropped the
instrument in favor of guitar when the Beatles hit.  I continued to enjoy
harp, especially some of the sideman stuff in early garage rock.  I finally
got a copy of Little Walter and Sonny Boy, later Sonny Terry and climbed
back onto the instrument.  Glover was a critical element but it really was
just listening--no help from other harp players.  I finally mastered Wammer
Jammer although I still can't seem to teach other band members how to play
it with me.  My second renaissance was about 12 years ago listening first to
Charlie Musselwhite's "Signature," then onto Rick Estrin, Butterfield, James
Harman, Jr. Wells, William Clarke, and Lester Butler (King King, not 13).
Besides listening to the masters it was simply playing all the time--on the
beach, in the car, at the park, in the spare room, and lots of jams. I
started playing gigs late in life (age 40) and keep playing to this day. I
enjoy the blues but primarily play amplified rock harp with a very loud
classic rock band. If asked, I probably would say that I enjoyed the blues
most but that is just a comfort level thing.  Playing rock has stretched me
in new ways that I never thought possible.  Often I cover the keyboard parts
which has given our band a somewhat unique character.

I probably didn't learn all that much at the DB masterclass but I sure met
some wonderful friends.  I still see Ray Betran from time-to-time.  Know Dr.
Abe and the Iceman are still out there.  Winslow, well, I'll never catch up
to his creativity.  And Evan, The Stanford Tree and Mr. Baseball, wherever
you are, I'm thinking of you buddy.  And Scott, whatever happened to our
buddy from Guam.

Glad to be back checking in with Harp-L after a 4 year hiatus.

Jeff "Harpdog" Hale