Re: [Harp-L] My free gift

Froggy, thanks for the info. Interesting.  Believe me, I have NO
intention of touching that with a 10 foot pole.

It DID make it sound like you would get the prize no matter what,
though, I thought.

After quickly scanning the 'Terms and Conditions" I see language like this:

"When you have earned a gift, you will see a message stating that you
have qualified in the Gift Status section and there will be a Gift
Redemption Voucher available for you to print and complete."  I don't
see anything about it only giving you a *chance* to win a prize.

I had just been chatting on gmail the day before, specifically talking
about a Super 64, and now here's this ad offering me a free one!
That's the creepiness of gmail, which searches your content.
Marketers would say that consumers want this level of personalization,
I'm sure.  I think it just makes it that much easier for programs like
this one to ensnare innocents.  I guess technology can be used for
good or ill.

You have to give out your email, phone, #, address, enable cookies and
pop-ups on your computer, sign up for programs - like credit cards, I
imagine - it even says some of these programs may require a purchase -
just like you pointed out.  What a nightmare, at least in my opinion!

Jason.

PS.  It also seems weird - I never heard of anyone giving away a chrom
for incentive.  Maybe back in the 50's, but today?  I have to wonder
if they generated the prize on the fly from content mined from my
gmail chat or email as well.  Some automated process that says "Oh,
this person likes product X which is found on Amazon, or wherever, and
we see that it is in the right price range, so paste it into the offer
area.  (What if I start chatting about handguns or inflatable dolls?)
The offer even says it has the right to substitute prizes, so you're
not even guaranteed the chrom.  One might get a fondue dish instead!