[Harp-L] Memorial Service for Douglas

As many of you know, a website was set up to honor Douglas Tate, located here: http://www.douglastate.com A recent announcement was posted there stating as follows, [including the embedded links]:

"There will be a simple memorial service to celebrate the life of Douglas Tate at the church of St Peter and St Paul in Olney at 3pm on 21st April 2006 ... and afterwards at Douglas's local ... the Cowper's Oak, Weston Underwood ... it is open to all who knew him and would like to attend."

The recent Harmonica World magazine of the NHL in England also posted notice of the event at 3pm tomorrow, April 21, in Olney, near Milton Keynes, England. The notice closes by saying, "All friends and acquaintances are welcome."

Some of you may not have heard about it, but would want to be there. I planned to, but will not, as I was not invited... specifically requested to not attend, in fact. Nor was I informed of or invited to the funeral either. If anyone goes, I would nonetheless be most grateful to hear about it. As they say, it's open to any and all who knew Doug, tho' I dare say none could claim "knowing" him any more intimately than I over the last 9 years or so. Anyway...

Last month, I put together a tribute to Douglas in an article for SPAH's Harmonica Happenings magazine that a number of you probably read. If not, I have decided to publish it at our Renaissance website, where I already announced the site would eventually be transformed to highlight our partnership and personal history together since meeting on Harp-L in 1996... 11 years 2 days ago, to be exact. Posting the article there seems to be as good a start as any, although, this one contains parts that had to be trimmed for the magazine, and other details, photos, etc. that I ran out of time to add. Just consider it my own personal memorial to Doug.

The URL is: http://www.tfn.net/~bobg/Renaissance.htm
"Welcome" links to Doug's Memorial pages, and there's still a link to our old puny site I never got around to improving much.

Thanks everyone.

Bobbie Giordano
Former Renaissance partner
ILUS Harmonicas [1996-2005]