Re: [Harp-L] Required Reading (I loved the Supremes)

If Sam Clemens were alive today he'd be just as disgusted with most people as he was back in the day.

Big Bill and Dinah Washington are pretty darned inspiring. She was about as close to a perfect singer as you can get.

It's never too late to do something your parents didn't want you to do. When that time comes Barrelhouse Solly will be there for you. He cares.

Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly Cat pix: http://ratemykitten.com/my/?gallery=willie_mctell

Dave R. Fertig wrote:
OK, I know you've all been anxiously awaiting my five required readings. Here they are, in chrono order (after complying with Chris' frolicsome request this afternoon):

Common Sense by Thomas Paine (if only we had some today...)
Communist Manifesto by Marx & Engels (As Madeleine Kahn once said, "It's twoo! It's twoo!")
Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (if only Sam Clemens was alive today)
The Autobiography of Lincoln Steffens (Seriously, this guy was no fool)
The True Believer by Eric Hoffer (politically a pig but with fine insights into the psychology of constructed belief systems)
. . .

Oops! Oh, I See, You Meant Music? Required LISTENING! ?

The lists on this thread so far are interesting and almost competitive. When I want musical inspiration for my simple-assed 2nd position blues harmonica playing I most often listen to:
Nina Simone (for her heart and power)
Jimmy Smith (For his awesome groove)
Big Bill Broonzy (for his real unvarnished soulful blues and fine pickin')
Dinah Washington (for her grace and urgency)
And a fifth one? Oh, the best harp player of all time: That's certainly Bigtle WalterAnn "Denim" ButterClarkelwhite, I think his names is. Or one o' her many cousins. And if you don't agree, well, you're wrong, butthead! I think.

-Dave "I couldn't resist" Fertig
Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx