From: Pierre [mailto:plavio@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 05:44 PM
To: 'Chris Michalek', harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Required Reading --- A Love Supreme

Chris said:

>> Only a fool would would make such a blind comment.

Its not a blind comment, I listened to it a few times (or at least tried).

I like Blues, but I listen to 20 times more jazz than blues, I am fully aware that it is very highly regarded as a classic "must have" album (that's why I bought it) but I do not see why it is so highly regarded. I was hoping, really hoping you would educate me. Sorry I pissed you off, I must admit I was not very delicate.

> Both Howard Levy and Toots Thielemans hold this disk in high esteem.

Does not mean they find it musically interesting to listen to which is my point. It's great technically of course its Coltrane and I read that he was trying to demonstrate a new improvising approach (perhaps why it is highly regarded and not because it is great to listen to), but I would not call it an interesting listen.

Now I will give it a few more listens and will try and open my mind, my taste in Jazz have changed a lot in the last few years, perhaps I just was not ready for it.

I'll try and make a list of 5 CDs I like, seems only fair.

Pierre.