Re: [Harp-L] Required Reading

Here's my 5 cents, not in any specific order.

1) Coltrane -- the Africa Brass sessions (if only for "Song of the
Underground Railroad")
2) Mingus -- the Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (as a whole, not a fabulous
album, it seems to lose direction, but the best parts on it are
extraordinary methinks -- solo dancer is a favourite of mine)
3) Mingus -- Nostalgia in Times Square (an old double album I used to have
on tape and which, as far as I know, does not exist on CD, except on The
Complete 1959 CBS Sessions -- lots of these tunes just cook)
4) Jan Garbarek and the Hilliard Ensemble -- Officium (not a big fan of
Garbarek, but here, in the company of the Hilliard Ensemble, he shines. some
of these pieces are hauntingly beautiful)
5) Keith Jarrett -- Dark Intervals (beautiful solo pieces, recorded live in
Japan before a near-silent audience)

What have these got to do with playing harp? Nothing and everything.

Specifically blues.

1) Clapton -- From the Cradle (solid, solid, solid blues; Portnoy is the
harp player on this -- damn good stuff; an early CD in my blues collection)
2) Butterfield -- The Paul Butterfield Blues Band (found it, listened to it,
got me going)
3) Blind Willie Johnson -- pick your favourite compilation (I can't imagine
preaching blues any better than this -- "I just can't keep from crying
sometimes" "soul of a man" "motherless children have a hard time" "dark was
the night cold was the ground" "it's nobody's fault but mine" "jesus make up
my dying bed" "you'll need somebody on your bond" ...) (might have to
substitute one of the Mingus's above with this one)
4) Howlin' Wolf -- no specific albums (for sheer energy if nothing else)
5) Little Walter -- His Best (not an original pick, but that's only because
he was so original; came to him late in the game and finally understood what
the fuss was about: "oh..." a little lesson in humility for sure -- very
inspiring for rhythm, accents, swing, pauses, timing ...)

In addition, I'll mention one very fine compilation: Verve's "Jazz Round
Midnight -- Blues", plus James Cotton's "Deep in the Blues", another Verve
(Gitannes Jazz) release.

I agree with Jonathon Ross that's you can't make too much of this exercise,
but that said, it's a fun way to think about your influences. Great to read
what others have listed.

Cheers,

John