Re: [Harp-L] Required Reading

keeping it to five is hard, Dan, you're right about that.  I started on the harp playing blues, it will always be an integral part of me, since, I've gotten interested in fiddle tunes and more jazzy kind of stuff.  here's the influences that jump to my mind... at the moment... (I recently picked up Thelonious Monk's "Monk's Dream" and have been listening to it heavily. It's knocking me out, a few more times around and I may have to change my list...)

1. Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue - for phrasing, timing, all around genius
2. Little Walter - The Best Of - for phrasing, timing, all around genius
3. Sonny Boy Williamson - Keep It To Ourselves - tasty masterpiece
4. Mark Graham/Tom Sauber - Thought I heard It Blow - old time, fiddle tunes, blues that have to be heard to be believed
5. Muddy Waters - Fathers & Sons - Muddy & Butter, two men I admire.

So many more is right... and that doesn't include the so many I haven't even heard.

Jim.

>>> Dan <billybudd1313@xxxxxxxxx> 4/19/2006 10:52 AM >>>
Dear List,

  Writing about Kim Wilson just now, I thought of a new thread.  I wrote about Jimmy Rogers' Chicago bound CD a minute ago, and thinking back, I should've had that disc LONG before I did.  In the interest of being fun, and maybe saving newer players  from missing out, I pose the following question.

  In your opinion as a harmonica  enthusiast, what 5 CD's/albums are must haves, or contributed the most to your own development?  Call it "desert island discs", call it "requred reading"  Call it what you want.

  Please limit to 5 because it's harder that way, and challenges are fun.

  Please state your genre/genres of focus for reference.  Do not feel limited to harp-containing music, or any specific genre.

   I'm a blues "nut" with a jam band history, so here's a list from my experience:

  Genre/Philosophy:  I love to play harmonica in the broad blues category. This includes many sub-genres.  Here's 5 that made HUGE impacts on me.

  1. Hoodoo Man Blues  (Jr. Wells)
  2. Chicago Bound  (Jimmy Rogers with Little Walter on harp)
  3.Muddy Mississippi Waters Live (James Cotton on harp)
  4. Live at BB Kings  (Rod Piazza)
  5. Blues Traveler ((first disc self titled  (John Popper))

  There's so many more.....but that's my 5 and I'm sticking to it.

  Dan G.
  www.edbluepills.com